Row Counter Abacus (Bronze)
How to use the row counting abacus:
You will slide the beads from the upper holding area to the lower loop when you want to count.
Have you ever kept count of something by a tally of verticle lines then a diagonal line across 4 vertical lines to symbolize 5? If so, you already know how to use one of these abacuses. The same principle applies.
Notice that there are 2 colors of beads in the charm: 3 of one color (we call these the "5"s) and 4 of the other. (we call these the "1"s).
- Slide down a "1" bead every time you want to count a row until you have completed 4 rows (and have 4 "1" beads on the loop below).
- To count the 5th row, slide the 4 "1" beads back to their holding area and slide down a "5" bead to the lower loop.
- Continue sliding down "1" beads until you have counted 9 rows and have 1 "5" bead and 4 "1" beads down below.
- To count the 10th row, slide the 4 "1" beads back to their holding area and slide down a 2nd "5" bead to the lower loop. You will now have 2 "5" beads in the lower loop.
- Continue in this manner until you have hit 19 rows. The row counting image above shows bead positions for rows 2 through 9, then for row 19.
About the abacus:
Jennifer Hansen designed this abacus for herself and had so much fun wrangling wire that she made a batch to offer on the website. Have you ever wanted to make wire jewelry? Read her blog post to find out how she learned to work with wire
You may also be interested in the following:
Regular Price: $39.00
Special Price: $29.99As low as: $26.99
|Availability||Usually ships within 2 business days|
|Returns Policy||Returns accepted within 10 days of delivery with returns authorization. Exchanges are accepted and subject to a 15% restock fee plus additional shipping charges.|
|Dimensions||3.5" x 1.5"|
|Shipping Policy||We ship internationally! Exact shipping quote will be provided at checkout. Please be aware that we have no control over customs, duties and tax charged by countries outside of the USA. Please read.|